Here’s a holiday treat you can use for either the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday, Christmas, or even New Year’s. Heck, you may like it so much you’ll prepare it for each and every wintertime function you and your family have. Don’t be surprised after the first time you make this dish your friends and family start asking you to consistently bring it and may even start calling you the “Cranberry Woman” or the “Cranberry Dude”:-)
Not only are cranberries great anti-oxidants for the body and extremely low in calories, but they also help lower the risk of getting urinary tract infections, along with helping prevent certain types of cancers, lower blood pressure, and improve the function of the immune system. Lots of benefits there, so aside from taking a cranberry extract supplement regularly, here’s a fun and tasty way to get a good source of cranberries right alongside your healthy dinner.
A Tasty Cranberry Sauce Recipe
This recipe was given to me by my dad who’s always the one in charge of making this delicious dish every Thanksgiving and Christmas holiday. Follow this tasty cranberry sauce recipe just as outlined below and you’ll end up with a wonderful side dish just like the pictures show. And since the local supermarkets are stocked full of cranberries this time of the year, here’s you chance to make this tasty cranberry sauce recipe from scratch with the freshest picked cranberries around.
On a side note, since fresh cranberries are often not in stock throughout the year, you may want to buy a few extra bags and keep them stored in your freezer. Just be sure to put them in a freezer bag and close it tightly to help prevent freezer burn. They should be able to last for 6 months to a year depending on your freezer setting and if you stored/sealed them tightly in a bag.
approx 6-8 servings
– 1 12 oz. bag of cranberries
– 1/4 cup white sugar
– 1/4 cup Triple Sec liqueur
– 1 apple
– 1 orange
– 1 cup of water
– 5 minutes
– 15 minutes
1) In a medium-sized pot put 1 cup hot water along with the 1/4 cup white sugar. Bring to a boil stirring occasionally with the wooden spoon.
2) While this is going on, carefully dice the apple (no skin) and orange (no peel) into small cubes. These will be added directly to the cranberries in a bit.
3) Once the sugar-water is boiling, add the entire 12 oz. bag of cranberries along with the diced apples, oranges, and 1/4 cup of Triple Sec liqueur. While stirring the mixture, bring it back to a boil.
4) Once the mixture is boiling reduce to a simmer continuing to stir every couple of minutes. You will see the cranberries slowly lose their shape and consistency turning the entire mixture into a pinkish/reddish thickened mush. You may find a few cranberries that need a bit of mashing on your part using the backside of the wooden spoon.
5) Once the sauce thickens and you no longer see lumps of cranberries it’s pretty much done. Total cooking time is approximately 15 minutes.
Hope you enjoy and share this tasty cranberry sauce recipe with your family and friends!
If you enjoyed this tasty cranberry sauce recipe and would like to get started tackling the entire weight loss process from start to finish, take a moment to sign up for our monthly Healthy Choices newsletter. You’ll get FREE access to our Healthy Meals Ebook and more importantly, the Fundamentals of Weight Loss Success email series. This is a step-by-step guide giving you an effective and proven approach to lose weight. Just input your email address down below and you’ll get immediate access to these healthy freebies!