If you have not had the pleasure of tasting this delicious, healthy snack, you are going to be in for a surprising treat with this simple hummus recipe. This middle eastern dip derived from garbanzo beans (chick peas) is a fantastic replacement from the typical ranch dip or nacho cheese alternative which are popular when combined with their unhealthy potato chip comrades. The only special kitchen tool you’ll need in order to make this simple hummus recipe right from home is a food processor. Don’t worry if you don’t have one on hand, you can find one at your local Walmart or Target store for less than $20.
Regardless of how fancy the containers are you see in the supermarket, or the hefty prices you’re charged if you buy it when you’re out, this simple hummus recipe listed below will cost you under $2 and literally take less than 5 minutes to make. What can be easier than that?
Actually, it will take a tad bit longer if you’re planning to make your own homemade healthy pita chips. However the time only goes up by a mere 10 minutes so it’s not much of a detour to get to the final destination.
Health Benefits of A Simple Hummus Recipe
Aside from how great it tastes, there are many health benefits of hummus which is one reason why you should consider adding this snack to your repertoire. Get a good does of protein along with a number of vitamins and minerals you won’t get from a bag of potato chips or glass of soda.
With this healthy snack, you can hopefully eliminate the need for the unhealthy stuff like potato chips, crackers, candy bars, cookies and such. This is ideally what needs to be done if you want to be successful shedding the excess weight – trade in the unhealthy stuff for appropriate portion sizes of healthy options.
Simple Hummus Recipe
1 can Garbanzo beans
1/2 cup Olive Oil
1/8 cup fresh lemon juice
1 garlic clove
2 tablespoons ground cumin
2 tablespoons sesame seed paste (Tahini)
a few dashes of salt and pepper
whole wheat pita bread
– food processor
– large bowl
– oven pan
– parchment paper
– basting brush
*Start with the pita chips since they will take about 10 minutes to make.
1) Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees. In a small bowl add 1/4 cup of olive oil, a few dashes of seasoned salt, pepper, and garlic powder and mix with a fork. Using a basting brush, lightly coat both sides of an entire pita bread.
2) Use a knife to cut the pita bread into small bite-sized pieces. You can get approximately 15-25 individual pieces from each pita bread depending on how you slice it up so you will likely only need to do this for two whole pitas to make enough for this hummus session.
3) Place a piece of parchment paper on a cookie sheet and lay out all the cut pieces of pita on top. Place tray inside oven and set timer for 4 minutes.
4) When time is up, carefully use oven mitts to take the tray out of the oven and with either tongs or forks, flip each pita piece to the other side. Place back in oven for another 4-5 minutes. Don’t forget to set the timer
5) Finally for the hummus, add all the ingredients listed above (aside from the pita chips) to the food processor. Be sure to add 2-3 tablespoons of water to get a good creamy consistency. Pulse blend until there are no more lumps and hummus is smooth.
6) Serve in a small dish alongside the baked pita chips, garnish with a drizzle of olive oil and enjoy.
Once you make this simple hummus recipe you’ll see how easy it can be to experiment with other potential ingredients. You may try to substitute the sesame paste for other items such as chili paste or chipotle sauce. How does some avocado hummus or spicy hummus sound to you?
The sky is the limit and since each batch only takes one can of garbanzo beans along with a minimal amount of other items, it’s easy to try out new ideas and see if they taste good to you. Best yet, packed in a small plastic travel container with the whole wheat pita chips in a baggie, you’ll have a healthy snack to take with you the following day. Just be sure to refrigerate after making and consume within a couple of days.
If you enjoyed this idea for a simple hummus recipe and would like to get started tackling the entire weight loss process from start to finish, take a moment to sign up for our monthly Healthy Choices newsletter. You’ll get FREE access to our Healthy Meals Ebook and more importantly, the Fundamentals of Weight Loss Success email series. This is a step-by-step guide giving you an effective and proven approach to lose weight. Just input your email address down below and you’ll get immediate access to these healthy freebies!