If you’re a meat lover, here’s a meal you definitely need to try especially since the final product gives you a dinner that’s right around 450 calories. If you prepare this meal per the directions below and don’t add on any unnecessary items such as soda, bread rolls, or dessert, then you will maintain a healthy portion size which is one of the most important keys to losing weight.
As for the healthy leftover idea, if there’s any meat leftover after you and your family eat, you can create wonderful tasting beef bowls which will give you a medely of flavors while at the same time be at a fantastic calorie size for a travel lunch when at work or away from home.
Healthy Meal of the Week 8 With Healthy Leftover Idea
– 2 pounds lean skirt steak
– 1 32oz package frozen broccoli
– 1 cup brown rice
– 2 tbsp olive oil
seasonings salt, pepper, garlic powder, oregano
For Leftover Steak Bowl:
– 1 Can of Pinto Beans
– 1/4 diced white onion
– 1 bunch of cilantro
4 squirts of Tapatio (hot sauce) or other salsa if desired
1. If time permits, allow meat to marinate for 30 minutes – 1 hour in the seasonings you’re using along with a 1/4 cup of water. Puncturing the meat with fork tines will really allow the spices to soak in.
*if baking rice, preheat oven to 375
2. For this meal the rice was oven baked but if you prefer to cook rice in the traditional manner on the stove naturally you may go that route. Since baking rice in the oven takes the longest amount of time compared to the other items, start here. Using two tablespoons of olive oil, brown 1 cup of rice on medium heat for about 3-4 minutes stirring occasionally. Add 2 cups of water along with a few sprinkles of salt and pepper if desired. Bring to a boil then carefully transfer everything into your oven safe dish. Cover (or use foil like in this example) and place on the middle rack in the oven. Set kitchen timer for 45 minutes for brown rice (or 25 minutes for white rice).
3. While the rice is baking, bring 3/4 cup of water to a boil in the skillet you are going to use for the meat. Reduce heat to medium and add the marinated meat pieces. Carefully flip the pieces every 4-5 minutes until done.
4. In another pot, bring two cups of water to a boil and add the frozen broccoli. You may add some seasoned salt and a tablespoon of butter if desired. Let boil for 10-12 minutes.
5. If you plan on making the beef bowl leftover meal, you may want to heat the can of pinto beans now so that when everything is finished cooking you can easily pack the leftovers into containers without having to do anything in the morning. Put the entire contents of beans into a small pot on low heat and stir occasionally.
6. Once everything is finished cooking, serve an appropriate portion size of the meat, brown rice, and broccoli and enjoy!
Leftover Meal Idea: For the steak bowl leftovers, aside from the can of pinto beans that you will add, you should also dice up a white onion and cilantro. Take a moment to also dice up the leftover meat because this will save time tomorrow and also since most do not have a sharp knife at work, this will make eating the leftover meal fast and easy.
You can elect to mix the beans, rice, meat, cilantro, and diced onion pieces now or just put them into the container separately, secure the lid and store in your refrigerator. To add a bit of zest to this beef bowl, a few squirts of Tapatio hot sauce or your preferred brand of salsa will do the trick.
If you enjoyed this Healthy Meal of the Week be sure to click this RSS link so you’ll be notified of all future healthy meals and healthy snacks. Also take a moment to sign up for our monthly Healthy Choices newsletter especially since you’ll get FREE access to our Healthy Meals Ebook and the Fundamentals of Weight Loss Success email series. This is a step-by-step guide giving you an effective and proven approach to lose weight. Just input your email address down below and you’ll get immediate access to these healthy freebies!