If you love pasta and chicken, here’s an easy way to enjoy both at the same time. Best yet, when you maintain an appropriate portion size, you will have a meal that’s right around 400 calories. Remember to drink water with your meal so you don’t add unnecessary calories to the total.
As a healthy leftover idea, aside from packing a portion of the same chicken alfredo meal to enjoy the following day, a simple way to create something different is making a tossed chicken salad.
If you do opt to make a salad, just be leery of the dressing you choose since this is the one aspect many people forget to take into account. Stay away from Caesar and Ranch dressings since they pack way too many calories and fat that can ruin a healthy salad. Fat free Italian or light oil and vinegar is the way to go when it comes to salad dressings.
Here’s Your Healthy Meal Of The Week 6 With Leftover Idea
– 3 pounds boneless chicken breast
– 1 package Whole Grain Angel Hair Pasta
– 1 bottle of Light Alfredo Sauce
– 1 lemon
seasoned salt, pepper, garlic powder, Italian seasoning
For Leftover Tossed Chicken Salad:
– Iceberg Lettuce (or other lettuce you enjoy for salads)
– Salad items: tomatoes, carrots, olives, cucumbers, etc.
– Fat Free Italian dressing
*If you already have a particular manner how you prefer to marinate chicken go for it!
1. Take a moment to marinate the chicken so that the spices have a chance to soak into the meat. Doing this really brings the meal to life. For this healthy meal, the chicken was marinated with the lemon juice, pepper, dash of seasoned salt, garlic powder, and store-bought Italian seasoning mix. Use forks to repeatedly puncture the meat, add the seasonings then repeat. Helps to get those seasonings and flavor into the middle of the meat and not just on the outside. If time permits, let sit for 15-30 minutes covered in the refrigerator.
2. In a small saucepan, add the entire bottle of alfredo sauce and put on low temperature. You may want to add some garlic powder and pepper for extra taste. Cover, but stir occasionally.
3. On a skillet, place the marinated pieces of chicken and add a cup of hot water, put on medium heat. To help cook chicken faster and thoroughly you can use a knife to cut an X partially into the middle of each chicken breast. Flip the pieces every five minutes. They should be done cooking in about 20 minutes.
4. The angel hair pasta only takes 5-7 minutes to cook so you may want to wait until chicken is nearly finished to start cooking the noodles. It will probably take you longer to boil the water than to cook the angel hair pasta. When 5-7 minutes pass, turn off the heat and immediately strain the noodles so they do not become soggy.
5. Once everything is finished cooking, serve an appropriate amount of noodles, 2-3 tablespoons of alfredo sauce, mix into the pasta well, and place sliced pieces of chicken right on top. Presto, chicken alfredo hot and ready to enjoy as your healthy meal of the week!
Leftover Idea: You can elect to pack a portion of the chicken alfredo for lunch the next day or if you prefer something different, you can simply make a delicious tossed chicken salad. All you have to do is take the leftover chicken and cut/shred into small pieces and add to your salad preference such as iceberg lettuce, spinach, olives, shredded carrots, cucumbers, tomato slices, etc., mix together and enjoy. If you’re planning to eat this salad the following day, keep the dressing separate from the salad until you are ready to eat so the lettuce does not become soggy.
If you enjoyed this Healthy Meal of the Week be sure to click this RSS link so you’ll be notified of all future healthy meals and healthy snacks. Also take a moment to sign up for our monthly Healthy Choices newsletter especially since you’ll get FREE access to our Healthy Meals Ebook and the Fundamentals of Weight Loss Success email series. This is a step-by-step guide giving you an effective and proven approach to lose weight. Just input your email address down below and you’ll get immediate access to these healthy freebies!