Here’s a fabulous dinner idea which will provide you with a meal under 300 calories per portion. It can be argued that the leftover idea is even healthier and tastes better than the main course but that determination can be left entirely up to you.
Fish is a healthy alternative to red meat, much leaner with less fat. Brown rice made from whole grain is also a healthy alternative to traditional white rice. It’s these subtle choices which will help you lose more weight in a faster manner. It just takes a willingness to get out of your comfort zone and try something new.
And before you avoid the healthy leftover idea because it has the words “lettuce wrap” in it, take a look at that scrumptious looking picture below and you may find your mouth starting to water prompting you to give them a try.
*Remember, drink lots of water or other 0 calorie beverage so you don’t add unnecessary calories to your meal.
– 2 pounds fish your choice (Talapia was used for this recipe)
– 1 32oz package frozen green peas
– 1 cup brown rice
– 2 limes
– 2 tablespoons of olive oil
seasonings salt, pepper, garlic, oregano
For Leftover Fish Lettuce Wrapped Tacos:
– Iceberg Lettuce (or other lettuce you enjoy for wraps)
Healthy Salsa made from:
– 2 tomatoes
– 1/2 white onion
– 1/2 purple onion
– 1/4 cilantro bunch
– 2 limes
– 4 squirts of Tapatio (hot sauce)
*If you already have a particular manner how you prefer to marinate fish go for it!
1. If time permits, allow fish to marinate for 30 minutes to 1 hour in the lime juice and the seasonings you’re using. Puncturing the fish with fork tines can really allow the spices and lime juice to soak in.
2. Since the rice will take the longest to cook first start with that. Use the 2 tablespoons of oil to lightly brown the 1 cup of rice.
4. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to low. Set your kitchen timer (or microwave timer) for 18 minutes.
5. Put the marinated fish on a frying pan and add a 3/4 cup of hot water. Turn heat to medium and flip the fish every 5 minutes. Should be done cooking in about 15 minutes.
6. The frozen peas just need to be added to a pot with boiling water and cooked for 10-12 minutes.
7. If you are planning on making the delicious fish lettuce tacos (SO GOOD!) you may want to prepare the tasty salsa so why not cut and prepare the veggies while the other food is cooking. Cut the tomatoes, onions, and cilantro into tiny pieces. Squeeze two full limes and if you want a little spicy zest, four squirts of Tapatio then mix everything together.
8. Once everything is finished cooking, serve an appropriate portion size and enjoy!
Leftover Meal Idea: These fish lettuce tacos taste heavenly with each one made of cooked marinated fish (Talapia), 2 tablespoons of the healthy salsa mix (described in step 7 above), all placed in a large leaf of iceberg lettuce. The beauty of these fish tacos is that each one is actually under 100 calories, so go ahead and enjoy two or three for lunch the next day with no guilt whatsoever. You may find that two of these fish tacos with a bottle of water will be plenty.
*keep the lettuce separate form the fish and salsa until you are ready to eat it.
If you enjoyed this Healthy Meal of the Week be sure to click this RSS link so you’ll be notified of all future healthy meals and healthy snacks. Also take a moment to sign up for our monthly Healthy Choices newsletter especially since you’ll get FREE access to our Healthy Meals Ebook and the Fundamentals of Weight Loss Success email series. This is a step-by-step guide giving you an effective and proven approach to lose weight. Just input your email address down below and you’ll get immediate access to these healthy freebies!