Here’s another crock pot (slow cooker) meal idea tied directly to the holidays that is simple to make yet yields a tasty ham your family will truly enjoy. You can even pick and choose items from this meal along with last week’s to really have a wonderful spread at your dinner table or for your next family function. As for the leftover idea, this is the first breakfast idea presented here but can easily be used for a nice lunch treat too! Many people enjoy breakfast-type dishes throughout the day so here’s an easy way to use any of the leftover ham in a tasty omelette melt.
Healthy Meal of the Week 35
– 5 minutes
– 4+ hours
– 2 pound boneless ham
– 1 cup brown sugar
– 1/4 cup maple syrup
– 1/4 cup honey
– 1 can corn
– 1 package stuffing mix
For Ham Omelette Melts
– Shredded Cheese (mozzarrella)
– Sandwich Thins (if making a sandwich melt)
1. Open ham package and using a sharp knife carefully cut ham slices 3/4 of the way to the bottom. If you purchased a ham that’s already semi-cut and has perforations that makes this part a whole lot easier. By taking this step you will allow the sweet sauce to get into the middle of the ham during cooking time and is particularly helpful when you use a baster to squirt juice back on top periodically throughout cooking time.
2. Once you have the ham sliced, spray the inside of your crock pot (slow cooker) with non-stick spray or coat with oil, then layer a 1/2 cup of brown sugar on the bottom of the cooker.
3. In a bowl, add the other 1/2 cup of brown sugar, 1/4 cup of maple syrup, and 1/4 cup of honey, and whisk until mixed well. Pour this sauce all over the ham letting it seep down in between the slices as best as possible.
4. Place glazed ham in the crock pot on top of the 1/2 cup brown sugar you already put there, cover and turn on to Low. Set timer to 4 hours, but adjust timer if the ham you purchased is larger than two pounds. If you have a meat thermometer, you’re striving to hit 140F degrees.
5. Periodically use a baster to squeeze some of that sweet glaze back on top of the ham after the one hour mark. Possibly in 30 minute intervals. This helps keep the ham continually marinated preventing it from drying out. Don’t worry if you’re unable to do this due to time restrictions or if you’re too busy. Just know that your ham may turn out a bit dry.
6. When there is less than 30 minutes total cooking time remaining, you can start cooking the corn and the stuffing. Both of these can be made in under 10 minutes. For the corn, simply open the can and add contents directly to a stove-top pot medium temperature and stir occasionally. For the stuffing, follow the directions as indicated on the box.
7. When everything is finished serve an appropriate portion size of each. You may want to squeeze a tad bit of the glaze sauce over the ham or even in the stuffing if you want a little extra pizzazz.
Healthy Leftover Idea: Ham Omelette Melt
Here’s a great way to use some of the leftover ham for a breakfast treat. All you’ll need extra are some eggs, shredded cheese, and if you want to make it a handheld sandwich or burrito, some type of bread/tortilla. In this example to help keep calorie count as low as possible, sandwich thins were used – only 100 calories total per pair.
First take a piece of leftover ham and dice it into small pieces. Crack open 2-3 eggs into a bowl, add a pinch or two of salt and pepper then whisk well. Add the pieces of diced ham. Put a small skillet on medium temperature and use a bit of non-stick spray or oil/butter. After a minute of warming up, pour the entire mixture into the pan. Let cook for a bit then with a spatula flip to the other side. Eggs should harden and brown just a bit. Once both sides have browned a bit add a few sprinkles of cheese and turn off the stove. Cheese will melt with residual heat.
Either warm up the type of bread/tortilla you are planning to use in the microwave for 20 seconds or you can place the omelette on top of it then warm up – your choice. Add some ketchup, olives, jalapenos, spinach, or whatever else you like on omelettes and enjoy!
If you liked this Healthy Meal of the Week be sure to click this RSS link so you’ll be notified of all future healthy meals and healthy snacks. Also take a moment to sign up for our monthly Healthy Choices newsletter especially since you’ll get FREE access to our Healthy Meals Ebook and the Fundamentals of Weight Loss Success email series. This is a step-by-step guide giving you an effective and proven approach to lose weight. Just input your email address down below and you’ll get immediate access to these healthy freebies!