This is a great recipe that is simple to make and tastes superb! It’s going to seem like a fancy restaurant type meal without the fancy restaurant price tag. Best yet, all the food cooks at the same time in a self-contained pan so once you have everything in the pan, you will be enjoying this lavish meal in about one hour. Plus, since everything is in one pan it makes cleaning up a breeze.
Usually a nice sized roast for a family of 4 will cost between $6-$14 depending on the size needed and supply in your area/town. The roast used for this meal example was purchased at Vons. The label stated “Open Nature Beef Chuck Roast Boneless Grass Fed 1.39lbs” regularly cost $8.33 on sale for $6.94.
Healthy Meal of the Week 3 With Healthy Leftover Idea
The trick is to try to find roasts when they are on sale at your local supermarket or butcher. If you come across a great price, pick up a few and freeze them. Roast can last 4-8 months in the freezer depending on the container and temperature.
Finally, if there is food leftover, you not only have the option to take the same meal portion of roast, potatoes, and carrots, or you can cut the leftover meat and mix in with a can of chili and you’ll have a quick meal to go.
*if there’s time in the morning, try to marinate the food in the morning so that the everything gets hours to soak up all that flavor that’s a bonus. Leave covered inside the refrigerator while gone and simply put into the oven when you get home *
1. Preheat the oven to 375. Length of cooking time with vary depending on the size of the roast and how well-done you prefer meat, but as a frame of reference 1 hour will cook a 1.5 pound roast medium well.
2. Using a meat tenderizer or two forks, repeatedly hit/puncture the roast for a good 20-30 seconds. This will soften the meat and allow the spices to really soak in good.
3. Season to liken then use forks again to help push seasonings deeper into the roast. For this meal pepper, garlic powder, seasoned salt, and Italian seasoning was used.
4. Cut the red potatoes into small-sized pieces along with the carrots. Rinse with water then put all pieces into a large size bowl.
5. Season to liking. Use your clean hands to mix the seasonings throughly amongst potatoes and carrots. If time permits allow to marinate covered in the refrigerator.
6. When you’re ready to cook the meal, place the entire marinated roast in the center of the roasting pan and surround the entire perimeter with the potatoes and carrots mixture. That’s the beauty of this meal, everything cooks together and will be done at the same time.
*Be sure to add a half cup of water to the pan before closing and cooking. This helps retain moisture and prevent everything from drying out.
7. It may be a good idea to check the roast at around the one hour mark. Carefully take entire pan out of the oven and put on a cutting board. Use a sharp knife to cut completely through the center width of the roast. If the color/texture looks good to you, continue cutting appropriate health conscious slices. If the meat is still too red, recover and put back into the oven for another 10-20 minutes depending on your taste.
8. When everything is cooked to your liking, carefully finish slicing the meat and serve the portions for your family. Don’t leave the potatoes and carrots too long in the remaining broth since they will get soggy, lose their texture, and start falling apart.
Leftover Meal Idea: Aside from keeping an entire portion of roast, potatoes and carrots for a great meal for the following day, you may not have that luxury if there’s not much left. Another option you have is to cut up the remaining portions of meat nice and small then mix with a simple 1/2 can of chili. You can mix right at the end of your meal and put directly in your travel container to place inside your refrigerator. Makes a great grab-n-go meal for work or you can simply warm up and enjoy at home.
If you enjoyed this Healthy Meal of the Week be sure to click this RSS link so you’ll be notified of all future healthy meals and healthy snacks. Also take a moment to sign up for our monthly Healthy Choices newsletter especially since you’ll get FREE access to our Healthy Meals Ebook and the Fundamentals of Weight Loss Success email series. This is a step-by-step guide giving you an effective and proven approach to lose weight. Just input your email address down below and you’ll get immediate access to these healthy freebies!