Here’s a great slow cooker meal that takes very little time to prepare yet yields a delicious dinner you and your family will love. Plus if there is any meat leftover, you can make these simple, portable mini steak sandwiches that will keep your lunch at an appropriate amount without sacrificing for quality or flavor. Check them both out and you might find your mouth starting to water. Sorry
Healthy Meal of the Week 29
*adapted from http://lecremedelacrumb.com…slow-cooker-broccoli-beef
– 10 minutes
– 4-6 hours
– 2 pounds skirt steak
– 1 can beef broth
– 1 cup white rice
– 2 cups broccoli florets
– 2/3 cup soy sauce
– 1/2 cup brown sugar
– 2 tablespoons olive oil
– 1 tablespoon minced garlic
– 2 tablespoons sesame seeds (optional)
– 2 teaspoons salt and pepper
– 3 tablespoons corn starch
For Mini Beef Sandwiches
– 100 calorie multi grain sandwich bread
– spinach or lettuce
– red chili paste or other preferred salsa
* At the heart of this meal is the slow cooker (Crock Pot) so it’s important to plan your time accordingly when you’ll have 4-8 hours cooking time depending on if you use the low or high setting.
1. With a sharp knife, cut the strip steak into small rectangular pieces about 2 inches in length. Depending how thick the steak is, you may need to also cut the meat in half width-wise.
2. Add the entire can of beef broth, 2/3 cup soy sauce, 1/2 cup brown sugar, minced garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper, along with cut pieces of steak.
3. The cooking time will vary depending on the setting you use on your slow cooker. Once all ingredients have been added, cover and set either on low for 4-5 hours, or on high for 2-3 hours.
4. Once the cooking time has passed it’s time to thicken the sauce a bit. In a small bowl, add 3 tablespoons of corn starch along with 4 tablespoons of water. Use a whisk to mix well then stir this mixture into the slow cooker. Cover and allow to cook for an additional 20-30 minutes.
5. This is the perfect time to prepare the rice since that will take about 20 minutes unless you purchased a microwave type version. For 1 cup of rice bring to a boil 2 cups of water, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and a teaspoon of salt. Once water is boiling add cup of rice, while stirring bring to a boil again then reduce to a simmer, cover and set timer for 16 minutes.
6. Finally, put the broccoli florets in a microwave safe dish with a 1/2 cup of water. Put the lid partially on/off so that the container can vent. Microwave on high for 90 seconds.
7. Once the timer rings for the 30 minute sauce thickening session, stir in the broccoli and sesame seeds if you choose to use them. Cover and let cook for a final 5 minutes.
Healthy Leftover Idea: Mini Beef Sandwiches
Here’s one of the simplest leftover meal ideas we’ve ever offered. All you’ll need to purchase additionally from the market are these great 100 calorie multi grain sandwich slenders. If your market does not carry that type or brand, you will have to use another option. Strive to get some type of wrap, whole wheat pita, or bread option that will only give you around 100 calories each. Both the top and bottom of these sandwich slenders used for this leftover meal idea totals 100 which is a great starting point. You’ll find most bread slices are around 100 calories each, meaning 200 calories just in sandwich top and bottoms alone so careful on your selection.
One you have your sandwich “container”, add a layer of spinach or other salad greens of your choosing. Then add a layer of meat that you diced/pulled apart with your fingers to make it easer to chew and eat. Finally add a bit of your favorite salsa, in this example red chili paste was used. You can even add a bit of the white rice or some reduced fat cheese if you’d like. Seal with the top slice of bread and wrap it up in a piece of foil or plastic wrap and you’re all set. Two of these mini steak sandwiches will only give you around 500 calories if you stick with water so no need to feel guilty after this lunch.
If you enjoyed this Healthy Meal of the Week be sure to click this RSS link so you’ll be notified of all future healthy meals and healthy snacks. Also take a moment to sign up for our monthly Healthy Choices newsletter especially since you’ll get FREE access to our Healthy Meals Ebook and the Fundamentals of Weight Loss Success email series. This is a step-by-step guide giving you an effective and proven approach to lose weight. Just input your email address down below and you’ll get immediate access to these healthy freebies!