Happened to be in the mood for some turkey even though it’s no where near Thanksgiving but who’s to say you can only eat turkey at that time of the year? Here’s a meal that’s more like a lunchtime option but can easily be used as a dinner depending on what you’re in the mood for. The great thing about these Turkey pita sandwiches is they are very portable so taking one for lunch while at work is very easy to do.
Also, if you haven’t tried making your own hummus and pita chips before, you’re in for a treat if you try out the leftover meal idea. Very easy to do in under 5 minutes yet a great healthy option as opposed to the typical combination of soda and potato chips. Check out the pictures below and if either look appealing to you and your family, give them a try and let us know what you think.
Healthy Meal of the Week 28
– 5 minutes
– 45 minutes
– 2 pounds Turkey Drumsticks
– 1 box turkey stuffing
– 1 can cranberry sauce
– 1 package whole wheat pita bread
– 1 tsp of each: garlic powder, cayenne pepper, seasoned salt, and pepper
– 1 oven bag
– 1 small container of raspberries (or other preferred fruit)
– 1 container low fat cottage cheese (or Greek yogurt instead)
For Hummus and Baked Pita Chips
– 1 can garbanzo beans (chick peas)
– 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
– 1/2 cup olive oil
– 1 garlic clove
– 2 tablespoons cumin
– 1 tablespoon Tahini (sesame seed paste)
– 1 tsp. seasoned salt
– food processor
1. Rinse the turkey drumsticks under cold water and peel off the skin if you want to get rid of that unnecessary, fattening portion. Place rinsed drumsticks inside the oven bag that will be used for cooking them.
2. In a small dish, combine the spices and mix with a fork. Sprinkle and rub spices all over the drumsticks inside the bag, then tie the bag and set inside the refrigerator for 30 minutes, an hour, or up to overnight if you’d really like the spices to flavor the meat.
3. When you’re ready to cook the turkey drumsticks, preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place the sealed oven bag on top of a baking sheet and be sure to puncture a few small holes in the top of the bag for venting purposes. When oven is ready, set the tray on the middle rack and set kitchen timer for 45 minutes. *Be sure the bag cannot touch the oven walls
4. Since the stuffing and cranberry sauce will take only about 5 minutes, try to time it so they will be done around the time the turkey will be finished. For the stuffing you will need 1/4 cup margarine/butter and water, just be sure to follow the directions on the box you purchased but for the most part you’ll bring water with butter to a boil then add package of stuffing. For the cranberry sauce, simply open up the can and place contents in a small pot on low temperature and stir occasionally.
5. When the timer for the turkey rings, carefully take out pan, cut open bag and slice into the meat to check if it has been cooked thoroughly enough to your liking. If not place back in the oven in 5 minute increments until the desired wellness is reached. When the turkey is finished, using either forks or clean hands, peel off as much of the meat as possible and shred/cut into small pieces. Using your fingers can really help check for small bones or pieces of cartilage the forks might miss. It’s not pleasant biting on a bone so take your time checking the meat carefully.
6. Once you’ve shredded as much turkey as you can from the drumsticks, prepare the assembly line for your turkey pitawiches. On one side of the pita bread coat the top with cranberry sauce, then add a thin layer of stuffing, then finally pieces of turkey. Carefully fold in half like a taco and presto, a turkey pitawich
7. The last item of business is to wash/cut the fruit you elected to have with this meal. In this case raspberries were rinsed, patted dry with a paper towel, and served atop of four tablespoons of cottage cheese. Don’t forget to compliment this 500 calorie meal with a large glass of water to keep portion size appropriate.
Healthy Leftover Idea: Hummus With Pita Chips
This idea came about since pita bread was being used for the main meal, it made since to used the extra slices to make pita chips and what goes best with pita chips? HUMMUS! This is a wonderful, protein-rich healthy snack that takes literally less than 5 minutes to make needing only a food processor.
First to make the baked pita chips, brush some olive oil on both sides of the pita, then use a knife to cut into small pieces. Place on a baking sheet at 350 degrees for 5 minutes, then take out, flip each piece with tongs or a fork, and then bake for another 5 minutes. That’s it!
For the hummus, open the can of garbanzo beans, drain in a colander and rinse under cold water. Add beans along with all the other ingredients listed above into the food processor along with 2 tablespoons of water. Cover and pulse until hummus is smooth.
If you enjoyed this Healthy Meal of the Week be sure to click this RSS link so you’ll be notified of all future healthy meals and healthy snacks. Also take a moment to sign up for our monthly Healthy Choices newsletter especially since you’ll get FREE access to our Healthy Meals Ebook and the Fundamentals of Weight Loss Success email series. This is a step-by-step guide giving you an effective and proven approach to lose weight. Just input your email address down below and you’ll get immediate access to these healthy freebies!