We haven’t used the slow cooker (Crock Pot) in a while so here’s a great meal that takes less than 5 minutes to prepare yet tastes wonderfully given you have the 6-8 hours to let the pork roast cook. Interesting enough this pulled pork is cooked in root beer then mixed with BBQ sauce and tastes magnificent. Give it a try and let us know what you think. Plus the leftover meal of pulled pork burritos make an excellent travel meal when at work or on the go.
Healthy Meal of the Week 23
– 5 minutes
– 6-8 hours
– 2-3 pound boneless pork shoulder roast
– 1 can Baked Beans
– 3-4 cobs of corn
– 20 oz. of Root Beer
– 6 tablespoons barbecue sauce
– seasoned salt
For Pulled Pork Burritos
– Reduced Fat Tortillas
– Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
– 1 White onion
– 1 lemon
– sliced olives
1. If needed remove any string/tie/netting if any and rinse the roast in cold water then place in clean bowl. Add 1 tbsp of seasoned salt spreading it all around the exterior then use a tenderizer or two forks to puncture meat repeatedly on all sides.
2.Place in a dry crock pot, add 20 oz. of root beer, cover and turn on low. Set timer for 6-8 hours or if you want to put on high only cook for 4-6 hours.
3. When there is about 20 minutes left on the timer start cooking beans and corn. Simply open can of beans and add contents to pot on medium/low temp, cover and stir occasionally.
4. For the corn on the cob, bring to a boil enough water to cover the amount of corn you are going to cook. This sample meal used mini corn on the cobs. Once water is boiling, add corn and boil for 10 minutes.
6. Add 1/3 cup of the liquid broth from the crock pot along with 6 tablespoons (more or less to your taste) and mix well using forks.
7. Serve appropriate portion sizes of pork, beans, and corn. Enjoy!
Healthy Leftover Idea: Pulled Pork Burrito
These are great travel meals especially since they roll up all packaged ready to eat. If there is any pulled pork leftover get ready for a great tasting lunch you can enjoy the next day.
Dice up some cilantro, white onion, open a small can of sliced olives, some shredded mozzarella cheese, lemon/lime juice, and your favorite hot sauce. Now it’s just the matter of adding a little bit of everything on one side of a tortilla, wrap up nice and tight, carefully roll it up in a piece of foil, and you’re good to go!
If you enjoyed this Healthy Meal of the Week be sure to click this RSS link so you’ll be notified of all future healthy meals and healthy snacks. Also take a moment to sign up for our monthly Healthy Choices newsletter especially since you’ll get FREE access to our Healthy Meals Ebook and the Fundamentals of Weight Loss Success email series. This is a step-by-step guide giving you an effective and proven approach to lose weight. Just input your email address down below and you’ll get immediate access to these healthy freebies!