Here’s a meal for when you’re in the mood for a Mexican-style dish that can be either BBQ’ed or cooked over the stove. When you take into the consideration the leftover meal idea, you may be torn over which you enjoy more since they’re both so delicious. Check out this healthy meal of the week and you may find it to be one of your new favorites that you and your family will want to prepare regularly.
Healthy Meal of the Week 20
– 25 minutes
– marinated carne asada (beef strip steak) (2lbs)
– white rice (1 cup)
– small can of tomato sauce
– small can of yellow corn kernels
– 2 cans of refried beans
– 2-4 limes
– cooking oil
For Carne Asada Soft Tacos
– small corn tortillas
– 1 bunch cilantro
– 1 white onion
– hot sauce (ie: Tapatio)
1. Once you’ve decided the manner in how you will cook the carne asada (meat) either via the bbq or in a skillet on top of your stove, all you need to do is add the marinated pieces of meat to where they are almost touching but not overlapping – medium temperature. You need to cook each side thoroughly to your liking.
2. While the meat is cooking you can begin the Spanish rice. The only difference between this type of rice compared to regular white or brown rice, you add tomato sauce and in this case yellow corn kernels. Start on medium temp, add a couple tablespoons of oil to your rice pan, a cup of rice and stir in well. Allow to brown for 3-5 minutes.
3. Add entire contents of small tomato sauce can and stir well into rice. Leave on medium temperature for another 2 minutes.
4. Add 1 3/4 cups of hot water along with a few dashes of salt and a half cup of yellow corn kernels (no liquid). Bring to a boil, stir, cover and reduce heat to medium/low. Set kitchen timer for 18 minutes – you do not need to stir any longer.
5. In a pot on medium/low temperature add the cans of refried beans. You may elect to add a 1/4 cup of milk and/or 8-10 squirts of Tapatio hot sauce (or other of your preference) especially if you want to add a bit of zest to your beans. Stir occasionally covered and allow to cook for 15-18 minutes.
6. While all this is going on be sure you are flipping the pieces of carne asada every 3-4 minutes until your desired wellness is reached.
7. Once everything is finished cooking serve an appropriate portion of meat, Spanish rice, and refried beans along with a couple sliced lime wedges for flavor. Don’t forget to enjoy water or other zero calorie beverage so you don’t add unnecessary calories to this healthy meal!
For these great tasting carne asada soft tacos all you will need additionally are small corn tortillas, cilantro, and a white onion. Shredded mozzarella cheese, avocado, olives, tomatoes, are all other possibilities you can add to your tacos. That’s one of the best parts of these little guys is that you can pick and choose what you’d like to add depending on what you’re in the mood for. This example only added chopped cilantro, diced white onion, lime juice along with the small corn tortillas.
Simply take a piece of cooked carne asada and dice it up into small little pieces about the size of a fingernail. Also dice up the white onion and washed cilantro. If you’re planning on eating right away, warm up the tortillas either on a skillet for a couple minutes on each side or you can wrap them in a damp paper towel and toss in the microwave for 30-45 seconds on high.
On one side of a corn tortilla spread a layer of refried beans, top with a spoonful of Spanish rice, a spoonful of diced carne asada, a pinch of cilantro and onion (or any of your other extras), a couple squirts of preferred salsa and squeezes of lime juice and you will have a wonderfully tasting, hand-held delight.
If you enjoyed this Healthy Meal of the Week be sure to click this RSS link so you’ll be notified of all future healthy meals and healthy snacks. Also take a moment to sign up for our monthly Healthy Choices newsletter especially since you’ll get FREE access to our Healthy Meals Ebook and the Fundamentals of Weight Loss Success email series. This is a step-by-step guide giving you an effective and proven approach to lose weight. Just input your email address down below and you’ll get immediate access to these healthy freebies!