Here’s an easy way to not only make some great tasting shrimp vegetable pasta but also some delicious yet healthy shrimp lettuce wrapped tacos to enjoy at work the next day. The best part is the majority of both of these meals can be made in about 30-40 minutes including the preparation and slicing/dicing of the vegetables.
If you don’t enjoy shrimp (or are allergic) you can simply substitute for meat of your preference. Spicy Italian sausage or marinated carne asada would also be a great substitution albeit not as healthy for you as the shrimp would be. Nevertheless, check out this healthy meal of the week and hopefully you and your family will enjoy it as much as mine did.
Healthy Meal of the Week 17
– 20 minutes
– 1/4 cup butter
– 1/2 cup diced white onion
– 1/2 cup diced red pepper
– 1 cup chopped Portobello mushrooms
– 1 bottle light Alfredo sauce
– 1 box vegetable penne pasta
– 1 bag precooked shrimp (small)
– 2 tbsp Olive oil
– 2 tbsp minced garlic
– 1/4 cup chopped parsley
– salt and pepper to taste
For Leftover Shrimp Tacos
– 1/2 cup diced red onion
– 1 diced tomato
– lime juice
– lettuce leaves
– garlic powder
– 1 bunch cilantro (finely chopped)
1. In a medium saucepan, low/medium heat add butter, oil, and diced onion. Stir for 3-4 minutes.
2. In a large pot, boil correct amount of water for the box of vegetable pasta along with a few dashes of salt.
3. Back to the saucepan, add the diced/chopped red peppers, Portobello mushrooms, and minced garlic. Stir occasionally for another 4-5 minutes.
4. Add 3/4 bag of shrimp (if you are not planning to make the leftover shrimp tacos you can add entire bag) to the mixture and stir in well. Let cook for 8 minutes.
6. Once water for pasta is boiling, add the entire box and stir occasionally for 6-8 minutes depending on your texture preference. Drain when finished and add to a large mixing bowl (or same cooking container if space allows).
7. Once shrimp mixture has thickened a bit, add entire contents to the penne pasta, salt and pepper to taste and mix well.
8. Serve appropriate portion size and garnish with chopped parsley. Enjoy!
What makes these little guys so great is not only are they extremely healthy but most of the ingredients you have already cut and prepared for the main course. The only items you will need extra are a few leaves of green lettuce, a red onion, one cilantro bunch, 1-2 tomatoes, and lots of lime juice.
Dice up the red onion, cilantro, and tomato into small pieces – the smaller the better. Hopefully you have some diced white onion and red pepper leftover. Add everything except the shrimp to a large bowl. Squeeze in a lot of lime juice. The more, the better. Add a decent amount of salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Mix well and taste to check if you need to adjust with more lime or salt.
In a clean leaf of lettuce add 5-8 small cooked shrimps (sprinkle with salt and pepper if you haven’t already), a couple spoonfuls of the ceviche mixture, wrap it up and enjoy! If you plan on taking this to lunch with you the next day, keep ceviche and shrimp separate from the lettuce until you’re ready to eat.
If you enjoyed this Healthy Meal of the Week be sure to click this RSS link so you’ll be notified of all future healthy meals and healthy snacks. Also take a moment to sign up for our monthly Healthy Choices newsletter especially since you’ll get FREE access to our Healthy Meals Ebook and the Fundamentals of Weight Loss Success email series. This is a step-by-step guide giving you an effective and proven approach to lose weight. Just input your email address down below and you’ll get immediate access to these healthy freebies!