Here’s a slightly alternative way to enjoy a healthier version of pasta with spicy sausage chunks. Check in your local supermarket if they have prepackaged hot Italian turkey sausage available, if not regular turkey sausages would suffice especially for those not fans of spicy things.
Using turkey sausage practically cuts the calorie count in half when compared to pork sausage yet you don’t sacrifice the flavor. Still tastes just as good.
And think of how delicious a wheat roll coated with pasta sauce and parmesan cheese, packed with a spicy turkey sausage, surrounded by lettuce, olives and covered with shredded mozzarella cheese. Mmmmm, yummy!
*Remember to always drink water or other 0 calorie beverage so you don’t add extra calories to your meal.
Healthy Meal of the Week 11 With Healthy Leftover Idea
– 1 package lean hot Italian turkey sausage
– 1 box vegetable Penne pasta
– 1 can sliced olives
– lettuce for salad
– Italian salad dressing (healthy)
– Parmesan cheese
– salad toppings/veggies
– 1 bunch parsley
– shredded mozzarella cheese
Non stick spray or oil for skillet
seasonings salt, pepper, garlic powder
For Leftover Turkey Sausage Sandwich:
– Whole wheat bread roll
– 1 can pasta sauce
1. Use non-stick spray on a skillet, put on medium temperature and place the individually wrapped turkey sausages. Every 3-4 minutes use a fork or tongs to roll sausages over to another side giving all sides a chance to cook thoroughly. Total cook time for the sausages is around 20 minutes.
2. Start boiling of water for the pasta per the package recommendation. Add a few dashes of seasoned salt if desired.
3. Wash and cut lettuce for the salad along with any vegetables you plan on including. Also finely cut the parsley which will be used for the pasta.
4. Once water is boiling, add entire box of vegetable Penne pasta. Stir occasionally and let boil for 6-7 minutes (check packaging for specific cooking time).
6. When sausages are done, carefully slick them up into small pieces to add to the pasta. You will likely find that 3/4 of a sausage will be plenty when added to a portion of pasta.
7. When pasta is finished, strain using the colander. Mix in the olives and finely chopped parsley and stir well.
Leftover Meal Idea: Just had mine yesterday for lunch and wow was it good – didn’t even heat it up and it was still delicious. Best yet, these turkey sausage sandwiches literally take about one minute to put together once everything is finished cooking. Here’s how they go.
Using a fresh-baked whole wheat roll from the bakery section at the market, slice in half (not entirely but enough so that it opens like a mouth). On the inside, coat each side with a hearty amount of pasta sauce and sprinkle parmesan cheese. If you want to add lettuce, do that now. For the turkey sausage, to make it easier to bite through, make bite sized diagonal cuts with a knife 3/4 of the way through and place inside the roll. Last but not least, sprinkle some shredded mozzarella cheese, wrap in a piece of aluminum foil and it’s all ready to go for lunch tomorrow!
If you enjoyed this Healthy Meal of the Week be sure to click this RSS link so you’ll be notified of all future healthy meals and healthy snacks. Also take a moment to sign up for our monthly Healthy Choices newsletter especially since you’ll get FREE access to our Healthy Meals Ebook and the Fundamentals of Weight Loss Success email series. This is a step-by-step guide giving you an effective and proven approach to lose weight. Just input your email address down below and you’ll get immediate access to these healthy freebies!