Healthy Leftover Idea
Meatball Wraps – turkey meatballs (3), sauce, low fat mozzarella cheese, spinach/lettuce, and 50 calorie Whole Wheat wrap
This is a great tasting, easy-to-make, healthy meal that your family will love. Best yet, each appropriate sized portion (key to healthy eating) is only 403 calories – salad included! For a leftover meal idea to change it up a bit, a 3 turkey meatball whole wheat wrap complete with cheese and pasta sauce. Combine that with a bottle of water along with a fruit or a few carrot and celery sticks and you have the perfect work lunch meal/snack.
Healthy Meal of the Week 1 – With Healthy Leftover Idea
Ingredients that make 7 total portions (5 dinner portions and 2 leftover portions)
Francesco Rinaldi Garden Pasta Sauce 24 oz – 350 calories
Barilla Whole Grain Spaghetti 13.25 oz – 1,200 calories
Jennie-O Lean Ground Turkey 1.25lbs – 850 calories
Mozzarella Light String Cheese 2 bars – 100 calories
Whole Wheat Wraps 2 – 100 calories
Italian Fat Free Dressing 2 tablespoons – 90 calories
Iceberg Lettuce and Spinach – 7 portions – 100 calories
Carrots Diced for salads – 50 calories
Total: 2,840 calories
Divided amongst 7 portions is 405 calories per portion if a 0 calorie beverage and nothing else is added to the meal such as dinner rolls, dessert, potato chips or additional servings of food.
1. In a large bowl put entire 1.25 lbs of turkey, season to liking and mix well. If you are planning to make the 2 leftover wraps, be sure to form 6 small meatballs first, the rest will be cooked as ground meat to be mixed into the pasta sauce.
2. Boil water for the spaghetti and add a dash of salt if desired.
3. Put pasta sauce in a pan on low and stir frequently – add seasoning if desired.
4. As you cook the ground turkey, be sure to rotate/turn the meatballs so each side cooks thoroughly.
5. Once ground turkey is finished cooking, add to the pasta sauce and stir in well. Let continue to heat on low. *Meatballs will take a bit longer to cook than the ground turkey.
6. When water for pasta begins to boil you can add the spaghetti. I like to break the noodles in half before cooking so they are easier to divide/eat when finished but that’s entirely up to you.
7. Cook spaghetti noodles in boiling water for 7-8 minutes stirring occasionally.
8. Drain spaghetti in a strainer and put back into the pot were they were cooked so you can mix the pasta meat sauce with noodles. *Note: If you are going to make the meatball wraps for leftovers, be sure to save some pasta sauce (meat-free if possible – I carefully scooped about 8 spoonfuls from the top) along with the 6 meatballs you cooked.
9. Wash and cut lettuce/spinach to your liking, slice tomatoes along with shredded carrots and two tablespoons of fat free Italian dressing per serving. Keep in mind, any additional salad toppings or using a different dressing will add more calories to the overall meal total.
10. Serve and enjoy! Pack leftovers into travel containers keeping lettuce separate from wraps until ready to eat
If you enjoyed this Healthy Meal of the Week be sure to click this RSS link so you’ll be notified of all future healthy meals and healthy snacks. Also take a moment to sign up for our monthly Healthy Choices newsletter especially since you’ll get FREE access to our Healthy Meals Ebook and the Fundamentals of Weight Loss Success email series. This is a step-by-step guide giving you an effective and proven approach to lose weight. Just input your email address down below and you’ll get immediate access to these healthy freebies!