After an arduous five-day work week, the weekend is finally here. Granted this may mean additional activities especially for those with kids such as sporting events, music lessons, or swim classes, nevertheless, the weekend does generally offer a little bit of extra free time. So instead of spending those precious hours camped out in front of a television potentially eating and drinking excessively, why not instead get outside this weekend and do something active?
If you have been wanting to lose weight and get into better shape, use the weekend to help springboard into action. You may find this the perfect opportunity to create a healthy weekend habit that you will come to truly love which in turn will start leading you to develop other healthy living habits. Sometimes it’s easier to start doing an active activity on the weekend when the hustle and bustle of the work day isn’t endured.
Creating a healthy life has to begin somewhere, and what better place to start than with a fun, outdoor activity especially if the weather is pleasant where you live. Here are 10 different outdoor activities to get you thinking of some possible options.
Get Outside This Weekend – 10 Outdoor Activities
To better the likelihood of sticking with this healthy habit, choose something you are really interested or excited about doing. Just be sure before trying one or more of these ideas out, get clearance from your doctor especially if you haven’t been active in a very long time.
1. Hike in the nearby hills or forest. You may be surprised what is actually in your area. Doing a simple Internet search or even looking at Google earth maps may reveal areas you haven’t explored before.
2. Go take a run at the beach or around a nearby lake. This alone can be a refreshing momentary escape from reality. A simple change in scenery can sometimes be all the motivation you need to start moving again.
3. Walk the downtown city streets or explore other places in the surrounding areas you haven’t been before. You may be surprised at what you find around you.
4. Get out on the tennis courts to hit some balls with someone. This is a great way to get some exercise, relieve some stress, and have fun all at the same time. Local classes and groups are another possibility if you’ve never played before.
5. Take a nice bike ride in the early morning or late afternoon. It’s liberating to pedal away on a bicycle letting the wind blow your hair as you pass houses and cars parked on the street. It helps to find an area that does not have a lot of traffic or that has designated bike lanes to make this activity safer for the rider.
6. Play soccer or basketball with your kids at a local park. Children love to play, and what better way to do that than with their parents. Have some fun exercising with your kids and you will help inspire healthy living habits.
7. In your backyard, do some light calisthenics and stretching. Find a nice spot where you have room to move and you will see that you really do not need to go anywhere else to get some exercise in. Here are 8 basic exercises you can start with not needing any additional equipment other than a pair of tennis shoes.
8. Play some paddleball, badminton, or throw the frisbee with your family on an open lawn. This is another family orientated activity you can possibly do in your own backyard or at a nearby park. These games can usually be found for under $20 at your local sporting goods store or cheaper used on the Internet via websites such as Craigslist or Ebay.
9. Go out and play some golf. If possible, ditch the cart and walk with your bag for added exercise. Lessons may be the first option if you want to touch up on your strokes or if you need to learn the game. For younger children miniature golf is always a lighthearted, fun way to spend a Sunday afternoon.
10. Take your dog for a walk around the neighborhood. Your furry friend loves to explore so if possible, take your little buddy out for a nice 30 minute or hour-long walk. Not only will you get some exercise but so will your pet.
If you enjoyed this Get Outside This Weekend – 10 Outdoor Activities article and would like to get started tackling the weight loss process from start to finish, take a moment to sign up for our monthly Healthy Choices newsletter. You’ll get FREE access to our Healthy Meals Ebook and more importantly, the Fundamentals of Weight Loss Success email series. This is a step-by-step guide giving you an effective and proven approach to lose weight. Just input your email address down below and you’ll get immediate access to these healthy freebies!